WHAT IS ELDER ABUSE?
Elder abuse can take on many forms, they include:
- Physical Abuse: Use of physical force that may result in bodily injury, physical pain, or impairment.
- Sexual Abuse: Non-consensual sexual contact of any kind with an elderly person.
- Emotional or Psychological Abuse: Infliction of anguish, pain or distress through verbal or non-verbal acts.
- Financial/Material Exploitation: Illegal or improper use of a senior’s funds, property, or assets.
- Neglect: Refusal or failure to fulfill any part of a person’s obligations or duties to an older person.
- Self-Neglect: Behaviors of an older person that threaten their health and/or safety.
- Abandonment: Desertion of an older person by an individual who has physical custody of the elder or is assumed to be responsible for their care.
DID YOU KNOW?
Each year, an estimated 2.1 million older Americans are victims of some form of abuse and neglect. Vulnerable Victims are over 50 (primarily women) and only 1 out of 14 cases of Elder Abuse are ever reported.
WHAT SERVICES CAN RAINBOW HOUSE HELP WITH?
- Personal and Legal Advocacy
- Golden Girls Support Group (Tuesdays from 1:30pm to 3:00pm)
Adult Support Group (Thursdays from 10:00 am to 1100am)
- Safety Planning
- Informational Resource & Referral
- Handicapped-Accessible Emergency Shelter
- 24 Hour Crisis Hotlines (800) 956-6656
- Stay active in your community
- Plan for your care as you age and identify reliable people who can provide assistance if you need it.
- Review your finances regularly, and be cautious in selecting a trustworthy person to help you manage your finances. (Keep in mind, a family member is not always the best choice.)
- Accept personal care from anyone in exchange for assets or property without a lawyer or trusted person to act as a witness to the agreement.
- Allow others to keep details about your finances or property from you.
- Give out any personal information to people you don’t know, especially over the phone.
RAINBOW HOUSE DOMESTIC ABUSE SERVICES, INC.
PO Box 1172, Marinette, WI 54143 (800) 956-6656
1530 Main St, Marinette, WI 54143 (715) 735-6656 fx: (715) 735-7293
1201 Main St, Oconto, WI 54153 (920) 834-5299 fx: (920) 834-5330