Teen Dating Violence Awareness Month, recognized in February, attempts to bring to light a problem that is more common than some may realize.
According to a 2014 survey of high school students released by the Centers for Disease Control, approximately 10 percent admitted to being hit, slapped or otherwise physically hurt by a romantic partner within the past 12 months.
The signs of an abusive relationship are often subtle and develop over time, plus young people often think potentially abusive activities — such as name calling or teasing — are “normal” in a relationship, according to the CDC. These dating habits can persist into adulthood, with approximately one in five adult victims of abuse and domestic violence having first experienced abuse between the ages of 11 and 17. Without proper intervention, teenagers can easily slip into a lifelong pattern of abusive relationships.
Dating abuse isn’t always physical. It can be emotional and sexual in nature. If any of the below apply to you, please contact us:
• Being physically hurt by your partner
• Feeling afraid of your partner
• Being threatened by your partner
• Feeling isolated by your partner, or losing your friends
• Feeling manipulated or controlled by your partner
• Changing your behavior because of your partner’s jealousy
• Feeling embarrassed, put down, ashamed or guilty
• Being afraid to express your own feelings
• Not being allowed, or being afraid, to make decisions for yourself
• Feeling as if your partner gets too personal or touches you in an unwanted way
Call Rainbow House at 715-535-6656 for help today.
Posted in Bryan Times, News on Monday, February 1, 2016 12:00 am by Toni Thrasher
Welcome To The Rainbow House
Prevention • Intervention • Advocacy • End Abuse
OUR AGENCY MISSION STATEMENT
We believe: No one deserves to be abused be it emotionally, physically, or sexually. Our prime service is the safety and empowerment of all victims and their children.
We Will: Provide prevention, education, and information to communities, families, and schools.
PO Box 1172, Marinette, WI 54143 ~ (800) 956-6656
1530 Main St., Marinette, WI 54143 ~ (715) 735-6656 Fax: (715) 735-7293
1201 Main St., Oconto, WI 54153 ~ (920) 834-5299 Fax: (920) 834-5330